Wednesday 29 February 2012

Tell me you Devoted & Disgruntled success stories


Convener: Ian Bradford Ngongotaha Pugh

Participants: Anna, Kath, Simon, Ned, Stella, Li-E Cheng, Gerard, Phelim, Jeni, Jen, Alan, Rob, Sarah-Jane, myself, and several others whose stories I have recorded, but whose names I have not (say sorry)

Summary of discussion, conclusions and/or recommendations:

I called this session to hear some real stories of success that were brought about by D&D to correlate with the stacks and stacks of issue reports (news) that `I have been combing through for the writing of my dissertation on Improbable and their eldership in hosting the D&D conferences/events/gatherings.

I will use the stories to supplement the issue reports that only tell of the events of the given moment, and not how things played out in the future. The stories were really interesting and inspiring everything from work to relationships.

I cannot do these stories justice with only a single hearing or time to ponder them, so for now I will list their key points:

  • Theatre companies forming
  • Performances created
  • Friendships made
  • Epiphanies
  • Life changing moments
  • Progress made after long periods of being stuck
  • Needed encouragement
  • A marriage!!!
  • Recharging
  • (re)Finding a vital sense of purpose
  • Learning that the theatre is not your passion any longer (in a good way)

Thank you to everyone who told me their stories – even without the doctoral studies, I would have been happy and interested to hear them, to learn about other people’s experiences after leaving York Hall for that even bigger Open Space.

If you have a story you would like to share, I hope you will consider writing it down and sharing it with me through email.

Ian Pugh
Doctoral Candidate – History/Literature/Criticism
The Ohio State University
Department of Theatre
pugh dot 104 at osu dot edu

No comments:

Post a Comment